Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Hello fall

We are back in full school swing. September has kept us in warm weather though alot of rain. I am beginning to think we have moved to the pacific northwest! All this rain unfortunately has led to a bunch of soccer cancellations and alot of mosquitos!
Maks has figured out he likes defense the best in soccer and while he is in defense mode he loves it and is focused, but when he is up on offense he spends most of his time asking the coach how much longer until water break! But this is par for the course with Maks. Maks becomes hyperfocused on things he is interested in or fascinated with but then can't let go or transition to something else until he feels he is finished or has resolved whatever it is he is working on.


Which leads us to kindergarten. We had been waiting for the call from the teacher, I mean, we know Maks so we know how he would be in class, especially a class of 22! So we were surprised after the first week that there was no call, but then it did come the second week. His teacher had him figured out, so described everything we are used to. She said he is extremely bright and she is amazed at the facts he pulls out regarding animals, nature and math. She made some inital recommendations to start with and then the child study team at school would be evaluating him in the coming week. Basically they feel some accomodations should help him work on transitioning from one task to the next. HIs teacher seems right on top of things, which makes us feel good about things. So we will see what happens in the next week or so. The good news is, he loves school, he is happy there and looks forward to it each day.

Baseball for Alek has been spared the rainouts and it is great watching how much the team is improving each week. It is alot of fun to watch. Alek was happy to have Granny and JoJo come watch a couple games, he loves an audience! His hitting has picked up lately and he seems to have figured out a great swing.

School is going well for him too. He loves his teacher, he is doing great on his spelling and math assessments. He is one who can get distracted with noises around him, so his teacher had noticed this and keeps him in the front row and she said that helps him alot. She also does alot of physical activites while they are learning (like spelling karate or math incorporated into fun physical games), this is perfect for a kiddo like Alek who is always moving. Whatever she is doing it is working!

We are very happy so far with the way the school year is going.

Our weekends have been busy with baseball so no early fall beach escapes. Maks is counting down the days until his birthday. He has requested a Star Wars Halloween party which should be a blast. Maks has decided he wants to be Darth Vader, why doesnt that surprise me. He has loved the Darth Vader mask over at Jakey's forever. Darth Vader works for him. Alek is still contemplating his costume.

The other week it was a gorgeous harvest moon. Maks had already gone to bed, but it was too pretty to miss, so I woke him up and I took the boys outside to enjoy the awesome orange moon. We sang our moon song and took some pictures from the front porch. I was imprinting that memory in my mind and my heart as I sat snugging with them staring at the moon. It is harder and harder for both of them to share my lap, they are getting so big. Pretty soon they will not want to sit on my lap. It breaks my heart to think of that, so I need to soak it up as much as I can.

I hope they remember these little moments we have together.
I keep trying to make as many memories as I can with them. I have so many great memories from my childhood and fun things I did with my family and the places my mom and dad would take us. I feel so lucky to have all those memories!

I hope my boys can also look back on their childhood and remember all the fun!






1 comment:

Amy, Jeff, LM, SC, & Ashton said...

awesome post, and i agree --- soak up the love, hugs, sit on the lap snuggles -- they grow up so fast - we have to enjoy every day with them :)